setup a custom domain on Blogger is not a tough task. Here I am going to share, how you can use your own domain on your Blogspot blog. A blog using custom domain on Blogger gets more reader attention against a blog using Blogspot.com suffix. Once you have created a free blog on Blogger, the very first thing you need to do is setting up custom domain on your Blogger blog. Here is how to setup custom domain to get more credibility towards your blogger blog.
Note: It takes some time to update DNS of your Domain. So it’s
no use to go for further steps before the DNS changes activate. I recommend you
wait for at least 12 hours.
Why I should use Custom Domain on Blogger?
There are many reason why you should have a custom domain for your Blogspot blog. If you use custom domain on your Blogger blog you can easily brand your blog by using a Logo, favicon and banner too. One of the most simple reason to use custom domain on your Blogspot blog is, people don’t take your blog with good attention. Some social media sites too don’t see your blog with respect.
While it’s not a tough task to using your own domain on your Blogger blog why not go for custom domain for your blogger blog. Buying a domain name is really cheap, you can easily get good domain name with your choice. Follow the step by step guide below to setup custom domain on your blogger blog.
How to Setup Custom Domain on Blogger.
You can either buy a domain name from some of the best domain name providers like Godaddy and Namecheap or buy a custom domain from Google, under your BlogSpot panel. Here is how to setup custom domain on your blogger blog through Blogger domain.
How to Setup Blogger Custom Domain
Step 1. Register and Setup Custom domain
If your are planning to buy a domain name from BlogSpot, Follow the step below.
- Now type the domain name you want use for your blog and click on check availability button. See the picture below.
- It will be redirect you to Google App page where you can buy a domain name from Google Apps. See the picture below.
- Now click on “Continue to Registration” button and follow further steps.
- Now back to the Publishing tab It will be looks like this.
- Congratulation!! You have successful Setup your own domain on your Blogger blog.
How to Setup Third Party Custom Domain on Blogger
Step 1. Get CNAME Record for your Blog
No matter from where you register your domain name to setup with your Blogger blog. Blogger doesn’t insist you to buy domain through itself. You can register domain from any domain registrar and can use it with your Blogger/Blogspot blog. Follow the step below to setup third party domain with your Blogger blog.
- Go to Blogger >> Select Your Blog >> Setting >> Publishing and click on “Add Custom Domain” button. See the above picture in step 1.
- Now click on Switch to Advance Setting link.
- Now type the Domain name you have just registered in the text box and click on Save button. See the picture below.
- It gives you a error this time but don’t worry. Now copy the CNAME records, it will looks like this. See the below picture.
Step 2. Update your DNS (Domain Name Setting)
When you have registered a domain name from any Domain Name registrar, It will gives you login details. Now you need to update your DNS from your Domain Registrar account. Follow the step below how to update DNS of your Domain.
- Once you have completed all the above step, Now go to your Doman Register’s Website.
- Now navigate to Control panel and locate your DNS (Doman Name System) management.
- Now if you are on DNS management page of your Doman Registrar’s website, Click on CNAME Records and enter the following two CNAMEs.
|CNAME 1||CNAME 2|
- Replace XXX to the CNAME record you have got in step 1.
- If CNAME records are added, save your setting by clicking on save button.
Step 3. Change Blogger Setting
Once everything has done, You have almost done. Now you just need to update your Blogger setting in respect to activate your custom domain for your blogger blog. Here is how to update your Blogger custom domain setting.
- Once again navigate to Blogger >> Select Your Blog >> Setting >> Publishing >> and click on “Add a custom domain” button.
- Now click on “Switch to advance setting” link.
- Now click on Save button. It will give you message, you have successfully redirect your blog to custom domain.
- In the next screen tick on Redirect yourddomain.com to www.yourdomain.com and save your setting again.
- Congratulations! You have successfully setup custom domain on your blogger blog.
This is how you can use your own custom domain on your Blogger/Blogspot blog. Follow the above tutorial to add custom domain to Blogger. If you are facing any error regarding adding a custom domain on your blogger blog, ask me via comment box below.
Looking for More Tricks?